Wednesday, 17 June 2009

Good grammar > good manners?

Wuddup Muffragettes?

Just got back from Spainland and feeling a lil' hazy.. but I feel to start a discussion.

We all harp on about guys with manners, you know, the ones who hold the door open for you, the ones who say please and thank you etc.
When we do find one, we're like "oh em gee, he's so sweet, paying for dinner, not drop calling me so I call him back" and so on.

Alas, what a dilemma we are faced with when we get the text:

"Thanks for tonite, cant beleeve we had dinner their. Your quiet good at pool too, although I think we need a re-match 'cos I can't be loosing to a girl! I'll be in touch in the week when I'm not so unorganised"

Now, I don't need to go into detail about the numerous mistakes in that example. This isn't a spelling bee, and I'm not expecting every man to be the next Stephen Hawking (although he is a buff ting) but seriously, am I the only one who thinks that bad grammar has a direct correlation to being a wasteman?

Maybe I'm a complete bitch, and maybe I don't care. But what would you rather, a guy that knows how to use the English language, or a guy that holds the door for you?

I'm sure there are many men who can do both (holla at me, yeah?) but if it came to the crunch - which one is more important to you?

I'd like to end this with an excerpt from one of my favourite hoof anthems..

"Go read a book you illiterate son of a bitch and step up your vocab"

3 comments:

  1. for us geeks, good grammer and spelling is oh so sexy. im with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Anonymous...and I will take your incorrect spelling of grammar as irony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been my experience that the dudes who send texts like that after DREAM DATEZ are not worth the trouble. Because "when im not so unorganised" usually means "never."

    I've quoted "Big Pimpin'" in many a text to boys, and I basically think it's perfect in any and all situations.

    ReplyDelete